For the Halloween issue of FacilitatorU newsletter, the writers asked veteran facilitators to share with them their greatest fears (and those typically encountered by their groups) along with proposed coping strategies.
Common facilitation fears, include demonic voices in one's head, shouting:
- Careful not to inadvertently open a can of worms and stir up conflict!
- You do not understanding the culture!
- You will not know what to do!
- What if your mind goes blank from stage fright?
- You're ineffective in helping groups achieve their goals!
- You're not prepared!
- You might look silly, stupid, or worse… unprofessional!
These are common and 100% sources of fear, the trick is learning how to manage these issues and emotions when they jump out and surprise you!
Read on for some sage advice on how to ward off these emotional bloodsuckers: